You just found out some really good news—you’re expecting a little one! You might be thinking that means for the next 40 or so weeks you can plop your feet up and eat lots of ice cream. Not so fast— it’s important to exercise while pregnant and here’s why!
According to the Mayo Clinic, the benefits of keeping up a exercise routine during pregnancy are worth the effort.
1. Exercising can help you stay fit and prepare your body for the rigors of labor.
2. Exercising can help ease the aches and pains you will experience as your pregnancy progresses.
3. Exercising can help you sleep better.
4. Exercising can help keep that pregnancy weight gain in check.
5. Exercising can boost your mood and energy levels.
6. Exercising can increase stamina and muscle strength.
Things to keep in mind
There are certain things to consider if you are expecting and want to continue with, or begin, an exercise routine.
1. Be sure to get your doctor’s approval before engaging in any type of physical activity to be sure you have the go ahead.
2. Remember to drink lots of fluids before, during, and after exercising.
3. Keep in mind certain types of exercise are recommended more than others. Those include walking, swimming, and low-impact aerobics. Check with your doctor to be sure any exercise you decide to do is recommended.
4. Be sure and listen to your body and take it easy or check with your doctor right away if you are not feeling well.
Remember, pregnancy is a marathon not a sprint! Exercising during that time will help keep you looking and feeling good and get your body ready to bring your new little someone into the world.